Saturday, April 21, 2007

Oh, Stephanie Klein...

I have to say that I am not a fan of this book so far. I am especially not a fan of Klein's writing style- it seems like she tries too hard to be witty, and I find myself rolling my eyes...at a book. I especially loved the part in chapter two when she oh so wittily uses the phrase "Something old, something new, something borrowed something blue," while describing attending her cousin's wedding "stag." I also do not appreciate her odd love for her dog, and her need to announce it to the the world for three pages at a time. Or the description of the bikini wax. I mean, really.

One of my biggest annoyances is how she judges men by how much money they spend on her because she is "worth" it. She seems to equate the amount of money a man spend on her with the man's character. This disturbed me...if this is straight up what Klein is like, than she is shallow and dumb.

I also do not care about her divorce. A lot of people get divorced, and you aren't saying anything particularly new or enlightening about the matter. Get over it.

I feel like maybe I am being a little overly critical. I have to say, I don't find the book boring to read. Even if she seems to be trying to hard, Klein can definitely entertain you.

1 comment:

caroline said...

Good observations. You might ask Klein how she thinks her experience sheds light on the divorced woman. In other words, what is she adding or how is she changing perceptions?