Friday, March 2, 2007

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I really responded to the excerpt from Gifts of Passage. For one thing, it was easy to read and understand since the author had submitted her work in the New Yorker before publishing her book. The excerpts were meant to be read independent of each other. I especially liked the story about her going to school in India; I can relate to her confusion about her name. I really enjoyed the discussion in class about the power of a name. It is a curious thing the meanings we place on words, considering how carelessly we use words on a daily basis. However, the power of one's own name, and how they form their identity through a name amazes me. People get so upset when someone misspells their name or mispronounces it. Before reading this story, I had never pondered the influence one simple word can have on someone's life.

I have a similar story to the one Santha explains about the changing of her name to Cynthia. When I was in second grade, my dad told me that our last name was not "Sakon" but "Sakonchick," and that he had changed our last name. I was amazed. I had lived seven years without knowing my real last name! I was so excited. I had two last names. It was something to add to my two first names. I would sign my name Teresa Tracy Rose Sakon Sakonchick. I remember going to school and telling a boy in my class about my "new" last name. He laughed and said Sakonchick? Like Sakonchicken? And then imitated a chicken. A few kids were watching and laughed. I was distraught. I never told anyone my real last name for years to come. Sakonchicken?! It sounded awful.

My names have always confused me. Especially my first name. My legal name is Teresa. It is on my bith certificate, I registered for college with that name. Every single year when I start classes, I have to tell all my teachers to refer to me as Tracy rather than Teresa. Some never bother with the distinction. It's like I have two identities- almost like Santha's alternate identity with the name Cynthia. I don't relate to the name Teresa at all. I think of it as an "older" person's name, and images of Mother Teresa always come to my mind. I feel like if I wrote a book or something, I would use "Teresa Sakon" as a pseudonym. Except it's not a pseudonym, it's my real name! Whenever I imagine myself in the future- as a thirty year old with the perfect job, husband, life...that person is Teresa. The awkward 18 year old is Tracy. I actually rather like the distinction.

4 comments:

caroline said...

Good reflection on the power of naming. You might think as well where other issues with naming come up in the autobiographical texts that we read. It might be a good place to start thinking about Essay 2.

Christin said...

I think that your contract is a really good start. I would recommend trying to flush out what exactly her life with F. Scott prevented her from being successful. This book sounded pretty intriguing...

Hartnett, Koula Svokos. Zelda Fitzgerald and the failure of the American dream for women.

Elfine Peterson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elfine Peterson said...

Hi Tracy,

I really like your topic about a portrayal through fiction. I think it's great. But I'm bias, because I love F. Scoot Fitzgerald. Although it seems like you know what you want to do, you are a bit overwhelmed with all of the information that is presented to you, especially if you also want to do extensive research on the time period (This is what I got from your e-poster. I'm sorry if this is not what you mean). However, I think you should talk more about the dysfunctional relationship and how they help these writers (Zelda and F. Scoot) to produce their writings.

One writing of F. Scoot Fitzgerald that I think semi autobiographical is The Great Gatsby. I'm sure you probably have read it during high school. But the character Daisy and Tom are very similar to F. Scoot and Zelda, especially their behavior, recklessness, parties, etc. One plus of the book is written in 1925, which is the peak of The Fitzgeralds' life. You can probably gain more insight for your topic in this book.

Another aspect that I think you should talk more about is of course the 1920s and how partying is their way of avoiding life. Maybe the misconception about partying as living life, instead partying is actually avoiding life. I don't know much about the roaring twenties, except about the flappers, crazy partying, and great literary works. But these things only can convince me that you will find many interesting stuff about the Fitzgeralds and how they affect their life.

Lastly, I think you should focus more about in your 'so what' factor. Or maybe in other words, Why should we care about Zelda Fitzgerald (and F. Scoot Fitzgerald)? Because not everyone like The Fitzgerald (though they should). I should say I can't wait to see the result. I'm sure it would be great. If you need anymore help, you can contact me.

Good Luck.